We lived in the UAE from 2009 to 2018, so for the boys that has meant a lifetime.
If anybody is thinking about a life in the sandpit with a family then here are some considerations.
- There are some brilliant schools in the UAE, the boys school in Abu Dhabi was really wonderful, in fact we didn’t realise just how great until we had left.
- The winters are great. Blue skies and cool evenings.
- The summers are torture. End of.
- You can get booze no worries, which if you’ve got a young family is a serious consideration (for mum and dad).
- It really is sandy. I mean everywhere, expect the bits that are rocky.
- You’ve got to be flexible.
- There is serious social innequality. Many expats embrace this whole-heartedly by getting a ‘maid’ and then treating her like shit. Guess what, you don’t have to turn into a douche bag to come and live here.
- There are cheap flights out of Dubai and you can use it as a great base for travel (hence this blog).
- Not everyone here is a Jumeirah Jane/Jeremy.
- If you get your heads down and don’t start spending like a Sheikh you can save and still manage to have a bit left over.